Description MEYERS 200B N489C. Date: As of 07/09/2020
TTAF: 3574.3 Tach: 2597.6 SMOH: 1447.27 Since Airframe OH: 1447.27 Annual Due: 12/2020
Following is the description of N489C as purchased in Dec 2017 (I am the fourth owner, but it is time for a mission change to a float plane.)
John Lyon was the third owner of this magnificent airplane, the 4th Meyers 200 and the first 200A model. John owned it for forty years. This airplane was built in 1959, and was the first Meyers 200A, equipped with an IO-470D engine. The second owner had a forced landing after improper maintenance, and returned the airplane to its birthplace at Tecumseh, Michigan. There Beaumont S. “Pard” Diver, formerly factory manager of Meyers Aircraft, and Ray Betzoldt,Meyers test pilot and co-designer, made all repairs, modified the airframe to 200B standards, and installed an IO- 520A in place of the IO-470D. In 1993, FAA issued a new airworthiness certificate recognizing N489C as a 200B.
In 1996 the complete airframe was overhauled. The airframe work was extensive. Everything which could be removed was removed. Small areas of light corrosion were removed, treated and primed. No other corrosion was found.
The following components were removed and replaced with new (1996):
- Windshield and side windows, new from Cee Bailey’s Plastics FAA-PMA.
- All wiring, microswitches and circuit breakers.
- All fuel, hydraulic and vacuum hoses and lines.
- All control cables and landing gear cables.
- Floorboards and baggage compartment bulkhead.
- Cabin door frame, NOS from Meyers Aircraft.
- Instrument panel & shock mounts. Lighted instrument panel overlays fabricated & installed by Aero Engravers.
- Heated pitot-static unit.
- Reskinned cowl cheeks and bottom cabin skin. Stainless flame panels were added to cowling.
- Airborne dry vacuum pump replaced with a Garwin wet vacuum pump, overhauled by Hemisphere Aviation.
- Airmaze air filter removed & replaced with a Brackett Industries foam filter per Brackett drawing 55100.
- An inspection plate was installed in tail-cone forward of the bulkhead, providing access to the trim screw.
- Inspection/access plates were added for the fuel gauge senders.
- New, Bonanza style yokes were installed on new stainless shafts, with switches for autopilot & navcoms.
- Pilot and copilot headset jacks relocated to rear of pilot seat to eliminate tangle of wires.(This was changed along with new Avionics to panel jacks. 07/2018)
- The large rotating beacon was replaced with a Vanderford fin cap and strobe.
- Wingtips were replaced with Vanderford semi-Hoerner tips, and VOR antennae by Archer were installed in them,eliminating draggy “cat’s-ear” antenna.
- Gear lights rewired to military standards. 3 Green indicates down & locked, red indicates in transit, and no lightindicates up and locked.
- N489C was painted with its distinctive red and dark red with gold trim paint job. The paint scheme is basically thefinal Meyers Aircraft Company scheme, in colors reminiscent of the Golden Age.The following items were overhauled or upgraded (1996):
- Landing gear was disassembled, struts re-chromed with hard chrome to Mil. Spec. QQ-320C, Class 2a, ground to size, reassembled with all new bushings, O-rings and seals.
- Interior was re-upholstered and new soundproofing was added.
- Pilot & copilot seats were upholstered, complying with FAR 25.583 by Oregon Aero, Aloha, Oregon.
- Seat belts & shoulder harness re-webbed & inertial reels installed for front seat shoulder harness.
- All instruments were overhauled by Aircraft Instrument Repair & the Meyers logo silkscreened on the faces.
- Compass replaced with vertical card compass.
- All hardware was inspected, cleaned, replaced with new when required, and reinstalled.
- Hydraulic landing gear & flap actuators disassembled, cleaned & reassembled with new O-rings and seals.
- Four fuel tanks were removed, inspected, cleaned and reinstalled.
- All control rods were removed, inspected, and rod ends were replaced as necessary.ENGINEIn the March 1996, the engine was overhauled to new standards / limits by Aircraft Cylinder, Inc., Van Nuys.
• • •
Six factory new steel cylinders were installed.
Cessna-type oil filter was replaced with an Airwolf filter mount.
Generator replaced with an alternator.
AVIONICS (Note changes & additions installed in June 2018 – see “Changes / Additions” below) In 1996 original avionics were removed and replaced with the following:
- Avionics master switch added.
- KLN-89B GPS. (Replaced, 06/ 2018)
- Dual KX-155 navcoms, #1 with glideslope receiver, dual indicators. (1 replaced with GNS 530W, 06/ 2018)
- Century III autopilot, which can be coupled to the GPS or to navcom.
- Annunciator panel for GPS and autopilot.
- JPI engine analyzer with fuel flow option.
- P.S. Engineering PMA-6000M Audio Panel (Replaced, 06/ 2018)
- Passenger entertainment system with AM-FM receiver, CD player. (Removed 06/ 2018)
- Annunciator panel fabricated & installed on glare shield incorporating 8 advisory / warning lights: Stall, FuelPressure, Hydraulic pump on, Aux fuel pump on, hi/lo voltage, oil pressure, vacuum pressure & gear in transit.
- New wiring harness installed for instruments, avionics & airframe. Complete wiring diagrams manual with aircraft.EXTRASThis aircraft comes with many “extras”, including copies of documents in the original Meyers Aircraft Company files, including the “Green Flight” (first flight report), complete history, awards, magazine articles, etc. N489C was the subject of feature articles in Private Pilot magazine, August 2004, Plane & Pilot magazine, July 2007, and EAA Vintage Airplane, March/April 2014. A copy of each of these magazines will be delivered with the airplane. N489C was twice selected as 200 Flagship at Meyers Owners Association Fly-ins.Also included with sale:
- A set of B.F. Goodrich wheel and brake assemblies and spare expansion tubes.
- Flap and aileron control seals by Davids Aviation, painted to match airplane and ready to install.
- The original wingtips, painted to match current paint.
- And more.CHANGES AND ADDITIONS SINCE 2018 Avionics (06/2018)
- Installed GNS 530W TWAS, GPS WAAS antenna, overhauled Bendix King KI 209A CDI & interfaced with GNS 530W.
- Installed Garmin GMA 340 Audio Panel. Integrated with GNS 530W and existing King KX 155.
- Installed Garmin GTX 330 ES Transponder, ADSB compliant.
- Replaced instrument panel shock struts with new Lord shock mounts.Airframe (07/2018)
- Installed Cleveland Wheels and Brakes and all new tires
- Rebuilt landing gear assembly, replacing all landing gear bushings.Engine (10/2018)
- Replace Cylinders # 2, # 5 & # 6 with overhauled cylinders by Aircraft Cylinders of America
- Replaced both mags with Slick 6300 series, overhauled by Kelly AerospaceAircraft always hangered and in great condition. All maintenance and records available.Aircraft is currently hangered in Summerland, FL. Price: $119,900. Contact: Ray Ferrell email@example.com 530-979-1760